View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:50 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Winols Tutorial - Howto 

Post Winols Tutorial - Howto
A Little WinOls Tutorial - Howto made by MacLeod

I used the vw golf 1.9tdi 150bhp 038906019HH 366661 file for this tutorial, you can download it in "Original ecu files" forum

1. Start Winols
2. Select "New project" in the "Project" menu or press Ctrl+N

3. Select "Import data from an existing file"
4. Push "Ok" button

5. Select file format "Binary 8 or 16 bit
6. Push "Ok" button

7. Select you want to remap
8. Push "Open" button

9. Push "Ok" button

Now we got "Potential maps" in the list to the left.

10. Select "Potential maps"
11. Press "P" on keyboard to open the preview window

12. Select map address 4D8D4 - its the torque limiter map in this case, the map will now show up in the map preview window

13. Double click on the address, select 3D view in the right window, you should now se full 3d graph of the map.

14. Close the map window, pressing "X" in the upper right corner(do not close winols)
15. you will now get a question to keep the map in the normal map list, Answer "Yes" on this.

16. Now do the point 12-14, on map address 6D8D4

17. Now select "My maps" in the left windows(maps window)
18. Right click on "My maps", select "New folder..." in the drop down menu.

19. Enter the name of folder: Torque Limiter
20. Push "Ok" button

Now we have to move the maps into this folder (Torque Limiter)

21. right click on each of the maps in "My maps" folder, select "Move into..." in the drop down menu

22. Select "Torque limiter" in the "Move maps" window, do it with both maps

Ok, now we are ready to remap
23. double click on 4D8D4 map in the maps list
24. change to 3D view
25. now on the map graph, select the area on the map you want to change, using the "Insert" button on your keyboard, user + or - to increase or decrease the value.

26. when your done remaping, go to "text view". select all the values, right click, select "copy" in the drop down menu
27. open the other map 6D8D4 in text view, paste all values. (Only do this with identical maps.)

Ok, this is my first Tutorial ever, so dont be to hard on me.

Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:11 pm

So if I see this right there are 2 identical torque limiter maps? right?

What about the checksum or that irrelevant on this application?

Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:30 pm
- Pro Section -

You cannot do the checksums with the demoversion of winols, which is why you have to either purchase it, or find some other program that can do it for you.

There's groups of people in the united states that made checksum correction software for their domestic cars, maybe some people could do the same for the euro-cars.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:32 am

A friend of mine did his Masters thesis on checksum related algorithms, so at some stage I'll basically be asking him how my ECU ones work, and how to correct them. In theory, compared to what he was working on (some crazy 256bit encryption and compression), these will be like a morning snack... :)

Then I'll be, hopefully, writing correction code either in a small app, or into my map editing plugin (for a 3d app)

That said, checksums, on my car at least, appear to not do anything more than stop the engine stop/check light coming on. They still start and run ok. I guess they are there just to tell the ECU that the data is ok (as the checksums have been corrected)... that said, if something is wrong then you won't know :)

Dave

Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:12 pm

What is the limiter torque? What represent this map in reality? (consequence?)
Thanks!

Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:13 pm

Handy to eliminate the dual mass flywheel problem or slipping clutch..

In my 1.9VE TDI I can lower the max injected quantity at lower coolant temps, this is handy to protect some drivers againts themselves when flooring the car with a cold engine..

Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:13 am

I've often wondered why more cars are not engineered like this. If I recall correctly, BMW's M cars use a limiter to limit revs and as the oil temp rises you can rev the engine further. Makes alot of sense to help protect an engine!

That said, when you want to get out of a junction quickly it might be a pain to have limited power just for that small amount of time and ignore the engine damage concerns.

Difficult balance, but I think on a tuned car it would be good to map-back the low-temp performance to around stock, so the car is almost like standard until warm then it gets the full potential.

Dave

Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:56 am

My SKN chip also has that 'cool' function. I still have to buy the epromwriter/reader :oops:.

Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:39 am
- Pro Section -

Xmass is comming up, ask your wife/gf/grandmother/ nextdoor neighbours to buy it for you :D

Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:56 am

I am trying to find maps for a 98 AHU TDI ecu, im loading the bins from both eproms onto the same file on winols. I can view it and everything seems normal except I cannot pick out individual maps. It does no show "Potential maps" at all. When I manually try to identify the maps i don't ever get anything smooth in 3d view. What am I missing?

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:42 am

Maps do not just 'show up' smooth in the 3d view. In fact, I find it impossible to locate maps that way (might be possible, but I can't do it.)

The maps have to be found and then the dimensions set properly for them to show up properly, as you have seen here. Check your settings to see if the Map Search options have been unchecked. If you could just scroll through 3d mode and find maps, this would be child's play! :p

Also, make sure you are using the newest demo from EVC and do a clean install. Sometimes you find older versions from other places, you should delete all those first!

I am new to this too, so don't feel bad. I came over from MegaSquirt, and let me tell you this whole OEM ECU thing SUCKS in general. I am a decent tuner with MS, but man, the workload involved to actually be able to make a tune with the EDC system is on an insane level! I have a whole new respect for OEM tuners that start from scratch and learn all of this stuff.

P.S. Thanks to the original poster for this awesome tutorial!

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:58 am
Profile WWW

Thanks a lot for all the time you took to build that awesome tutorial.

So, why are there always several maps for only one parameter, so if you find 5 injection maps then you have to modify them all at once?

How do you know what axis if rpm? and how do you know what is the Y and Z axis?

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:38 am
Profile WWW

You have to have enough knowledge about the engine and then you can identify most of the maps by looking at the values and shapes..

Does anyone know how to find the linearization tables for sernsors (MAP/MAF)

Greetz

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:34 am

Great tutorial, i use winols too but I do somethink wrong because it sais that I have 36 potential maps but I can´t open the folder I have to click F and it shows me the maps one by one.
With the full winols, does the program tell you what does each map are for? I don´t think soo. :evil:

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:52 pm
- Pro Section -

No, full version is the same, except for the fact that you can do checksum correction and you can export modified files.

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:08 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next