View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:17 pm

Raw wheel horse power vs corrected crank 

Post Raw wheel horse power vs corrected crank
To continue the topic raised elsewhere on this forum:

What do you think should be given as measurement of the power of a car. The measured wheel torque and power, or the corrected crank figures? What measuring methods should be used or avoided? What are the benefits and downsides of the various methods? What variables should be taken into account?

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:07 am

Post Re: Raw wheel horse power vs corrected crank
WhizzMan wrote:
To continue the topic raised elsewhere on this forum:

What do you think should be given as measurement of the power of a car. The measured wheel torque and power, or the corrected crank figures? What measuring methods should be used or avoided? What are the benefits and downsides of the various methods? What variables should be taken into account?

unless you tune on an engine dyno you cant give engine power!!! period!!!

any machine that says it can is guestimating and is not kosher!!!

if they cheat there where else are they cheating!!!

measured only or you'll look a fool if they get tested elsewhere!!!

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:08 pm
Profile E-mail

WHP only for me..

i hate how so many people in the UK and ireland talk about BHP like its everything. i did my first couple tuning runs on my car with BHP readouts and quickly wised up and now do everything in WHP unless i want a BHP reference for all the retards that think only about BHP.

my second favourite is people who cant comprehend the effects of vehicle weight and gearing. and think their 200bhp (theres that silly unit of measurement again) car will obviously beat a 170bhp car nevermind that the 200bhp car is 2 times heavier and geared much taller. i surprise so many people in races like that then they start asking what i did to get the engine up to 200bhp+ lol :roll:

Sun May 08, 2011 9:06 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

From my experience, run down loss estimation is just that, an estimate. My mate has a Sun Ram dyno and works entirely with wheel horse power when tuning, as this is the only actual reading that you are taking. When people ask for a flywheel figure, he does a little formula on a bit of paper to calculate an estimate transmission loss.

Turns out that his little formula is within 5 bhp of the "measured" flywheel figures given on the same car run on some the most "accurate" dynos at shootouts in the UK!

I have also found that too many people get hooked into the BHP figure, or even their WHP figure at a shootout, then can't figure out why their 430bhp "monster" gets snotted by a 350 bhp car up the drag strip.

People should focus more on the power curve and torque readings, because when you look at the two prinouts side by side, the 430bhp was found at 7000rpm and the engine was producing 320 lb ft, but took forever to build torque thanks to an oversized turbo matched to stock internals, whereas the 350bhp car had that power pretty much from once the turbo was spooled, could take less boost pressure thanks to proper turbo matching and lower compression piston, and was producing 450 lb ft with a nice progressive torque curve that just tailed off gently after peaking around 2500rpm!

You can't make a truly fast car by throwing parts (and money) at it, then expect your tuner to fix it all with a remap to make your bodged up mess work correctly :lol:

Sat May 14, 2011 7:47 pm